Saturday, November 10, 2012

Review - Pearl's Diner - Felixstow


Pearl's Diner is the permanent address of the great people who bring Burger Theory to the city streets.  In an quiet-ish suburban street in Felixstow, Pearl's doesn't have much street presence - but its non-descript building is perfect for a business that is premised on its customers coming to finding it.

Before visiting Pearl's, I have had Burger Theory twice.  Not because it isn't great, but because for a female lawyer confined to a desk choosing a burger and chips for lunch is quite a step.  Fancy Burger this isn't.  There is no convincing yourself the fare at Burger Theory and Pearl's is healthy.  By my, is it tasty.

We ordered from the Art Burger series - a burger which is truly designed.  A concept burger accompanied by a concept design and graphic.  Ours had a mexican flavour - which freshened up the burger considerably.  I for one, hope the burger specials stay, because there are only two regulars on the menu.  A rotating third choice seems like a good idea for those that stalk the Burger Theory truck more frequently than I do.

The fit-out smacks of a well thought through home job. And I mean that as a good thing.  Austin and I converted old shops not dissimilar to Pearl's digs, which we live in.  That was largely a home job too, so we know the tell-tale signs and we appreciate them.  Great graphics on the wall inside and out befitting of an establishment such as Pearl's.  All in all, an unpretentious and top job.

We arrived about 7 and manage to snag a table without waiting.  Order at the counter, which I frankly prefer in a busy place like this.  Doesn't take long to choose, because the menu is straightforward.

We ordered two burgers which each come with a side of chips.  The #1 burger with something super they called Truck Sauce and the Art Burger special.  The pattie is nice and pink in the middle (for the kiddies, a special burger is cooked well done).  The bun is glossy, like someone was out the back giving them a buff and polish.  There is no licence at Pearl's yet, so I ordered a ginger beer and was happy with my choice until I glanced over to the next table and saw what looked like the most chocolatey, ice-creamy milkshake I had ever seen.  Don't make my mistake.  Get a milkshake with your burger and chips.

Two pork buns and a slide of coleslaw completed the order.  The coleslaw needed a little more punch in the flavour, but the pork buns were tasty.   The buns themselves are actually smaller versions of the burger buns.  Super tasty, sweet and smoky 14 hour cooked Berkshire pork.  But a small side of burger with my burger was probably a bit much for me.  I would probably go with the buttermilk chicken wings as a side when I next return.  Or if you are sharing, one pork bun (a big bite each) and a couple of chicken wings, is probably also a smart option, so you don't have to miss out on that pork.

Determined not to miss out as I did with the milkshake, after scoffing our burgers, we shared a serve of house-made waffles, a special aptly named Chocolate Obsession.  Chocolate ice-cream, sauce, almonds and strawberries.  I don't think I have ever had home-made waffles and they were much more textural than I anticipated, more crunch than fluff.  Possibly a bit heavy to round off the meal if you go for any extra sides with your burger.

So here is what I intend to do next time:  get the chocolate milkshake and skip the waffles; have chicken wings instead of a pork buns - I think this will make the meal a more well-rounded experience. But seriously, if it takes your fancy, order it.  At Pearl's it seems pretty difficult to go wrong.

Pearl's Diner
38A Briar Rd, Felixstow (at the top of Payneham Road)
Burger with chips: $13-15 regular menu; $17 special
Sides: $4-7
Waffles: $5-9; $12 special
No booze yet.



Remember:  the awesome burgers reviewed here are also available on the Burger Theory Truck.  Facebook them for locations and hop to it.

No comments:

Post a Comment